Just Serve Resources for State Employees
Back to Just Serve General Information
Maryland Governor Larry Hogan is personally encouraging all state employees to participate in Just Serve, and is therefore giving all employees four hours of paid leave to take part in a volunteer activity of their choice. These four hours can be taken at any time from September 11 to October 10, 2021.
Taking and Submitting Leave to Volunteer in Just Serve
1. Find an event. (To check if an organization is a registered 501(c)(3) visit the IRS Tax Exempt Organization Search)
2. Check with your supervisor to ensure you can take time off on the date of your service.
3. Complete the following forms: State Employees Day to Serve Agreement and Day to Serve Verification Form, and email to your supervisor.
4. Fill out your name, agency and activity here to register your hours.
5. Each agency will grant up to four hours of Paid Administrative Leave for employees that submit verification forms (indicated above). If you use Workday for timekeeping, use “Paid Administrative Leave” as your Time Off Type and “Just Serve” as your Time Off Reason. Paid Administrative Leave can only be used when it is granted by the agency timekeeper. If your agency uses a different timekeeping system, please contact your HR Department for more information.
5. New this year for 2021:
- a. Volunteer service can be completed remotely for those who are not comfortable with in-person volunteer service due to COVID-19, but must be completed with a registered 501(c)(3).
- b. The four hours of volunteer service can be completed consecutively or at different times.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Just Serve?
Just Serve, formally known as the Day to Serve, is an annual initiative that promotes volunteerism and encourages our residents to serve in their communities. Maryland participates with Virginia, West Virginia and Washington, D.C.
When is Just Serve?
September 11 – October 10, 2021
How do I participate?
Check out justserve.org to find opportunities in your area. If you would like to volunteer for an organization that is not listed on the event map, make sure that the organization is a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
Are leave hours available for state employees?
Yes. Up to four hours of administrative leave are available for state employees. Supervisors must provide approval for any volunteer event using leave hours.
Can I use administrative leave hours outside of regular work hours?
No. Administrative leave only applies to regular work hours. Any volunteer activity done outside of work hours will not be eligible for leave.
Can I obtain comp hours from participating in a Just Serve event outside of normal work hours?
No. Comp hours will not be provided for volunteering outside of normal work hours.
Are there any other state employees where leave hours are not eligible for leave hours?
Yes. Please see this list for a list of ineligible employees.
Are leave hours available for contractual employees?
No. Unfortunately, leave hours do not apply to contractual employees. Please see this list for a list of ineligible employees.